On the 4th May 1294 the foundation stone of the Augustine Abbey was laid on the Haberfeld in “Neuhauser Gasse”.
There is documentary evidence that a brewery was already operating in 1328. After the secularisation of the monasteries the brewery moved to Neuhauserstraße and remained in this second headquarters until 1885.
At the turn of the century this property was redesigned by the well-known architect, Emanuel von Seidl.
The Augustiner Großgaststätten in the pedestrian precinct in Munich with its Muschelsaal, or Mussel Hall and Arkadengarten or Arcade Garden is one of the few historical buildings from Munich's Art Nouveau period which have remained unchanged.